Saturday, January 16, 2010

Vintage Nordschleife

Nordschleife

In my wanderings across the Interwebs I stumbled across the YouTube video below, narrated by the great Allan McNish, talking about Nordschleife, the legendary 14.173 mile racing configuration that makes up one of the four original circuits at Nürburgring.

Maserati MC12

Why is it relevant?  I discovered Norschleife while playing Need for Speed Shift.  My preferred race car for this tracks is a Maserati MC12.  The track is indeed demanding.  But, there is a long straight at the tail end of the 14.173 mile circuit that I define as “Peace and The Wind.”  It’s fast, flat, and you can truly open up the car to top speed down the long straight.

I know it’s only a game.  But, when driving this part of the circuit, you truly get the feel of being in a race car.  Everything goes silent. All thoughts, problems and cares in the world just seem to vanish.  It’s just me, the racer, and the race car…. racing on the legendary Nordschleife.

The only thing that can make me snap out of the trance is driving at such a high speed that it becomes scary. I have to drive this car in an actual race car someday.

If you have Need For Speed Shift, Forza Motorsport, or Gran Turismo, I strongly suggest you drive Nordschleife in a great race car.  You’ll truly understand what I’m talking about.

Enjoy the video.

[Via http://officialmdub.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment