Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Task 5: Going to a live football match

Far from trying to sound cynical, going to sports games always make me feel disappointed about humanity.

We had awesome seats right above the den!

The sports field is a passion-fuelled place. So it is no wonder that everyone is treated as a prisoner when entering the grounds. Bags are searched, drink is to be tipped out and you can fill this up when you enter the stadium again.

My first taste of a footy match was by no means near the level of mob anger at my first cricket game, where fruit was being thrown on the field missing us by a few inches, but it certainly illustrated the level of passion people invest into a sports game.

“Get to the other corner!” Yells Mr Fat Man from the row in front of us. “Don’t be fucken stupid!”

A few girls laugh at him from the other side of the bench. Whether the man is trying to be funny is unknown. But he does continue to say “I’m getting angry!”

Only now getting angry? Jesus, I wouldn’t want to see him angry.The game was awesome, don’t get me wrong. It ended up with 30 minutes extra time and a penalty shoot-out.

But I just couldn’t help looking at these men shouting obscenities and thanking my lucky stars they weren’t in my life. At all.

I guess people need to take their emotion somewhere, some people cry at work and others yell at footy games. Both can be uncomfortable to the people around them, but at least those that yell can help it.

The beers were a fair price at the Westpac Stadium in Wellington, but of course you are limited by how much you can buy.

In the end Wellington Phoenix won the penalty shoot-out against Perth Glory leaving the score at 2-1.

Grumpy old men at a football game

Angry men on left with yellow and right in red.

[Via http://25things1year.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment