Thursday, November 26, 2009

Mahjong Legend Akagi review.

So finally I took the time to watch Akagi after a friend recomended it to me. And seriously this is one of the best shows I have seen. So how can a show about a board game be epic and awesome?  That is what I will tell in this review.

The show starts showing how a guy named Nangou is playing a game of Mahjong against the local yakuza. Nangou is deep debth and suddenly a teenager named Akagi barges in and after waching a couple of games he plays instead of Nangou and at that moment you can say a legend was born. So the story is simply about the ice cold Akagi who is a genius playing Mahjong. There isn’t much more to say about the story. But seriously this show is one of the most epic and suspense things I’ve seen.

Even if the story is pretty simple it’s the interaction between the characters that is awesome. Akagi is one of the most ice cold guys I’ve seen and he is awesome and always cool and collected and one of the coolest character I’ve seen. I guess interaction was wrong word because often you get to hear what the characters are thinking and how they are trying to reading each other and how they will put up their strategy. And this is one of the things that makes it awesome.

Let’s talk a bit about the animation style. I’m not lying when I say that the animation style of Akagi is very very differnet from many animes out there and I was a bit skeptical at first. But after the first episode I didn’t care anymore. And actually the style fitted very vell into the show in my opinion.

The music in Akagi was also really awesome. It isn’t any weird since it’s the same guy that did the death note soundtrack. I really loved it and the music really fitted the show. The opening was really nice and chill. The second ending was better than the first in my opinion.

So what did this anime so awesome? I would say that it was the suspense. Most of the time I wasn’t thinking of will he win but how will he will? And I really loved that kind of suspense. And I think that it got that suspense from the fact that Akagi isn’t winning by just luck and believing in the game and “moral” stuff like this. Akagi wins because of his skills. It’s all that’s to it and I really loved it.

So if you haven’t watched this show yet you should do it. Even if you never played mahjong before you will still appreciate it since they tell about many of the rules when needed to. Akagi get 5/5 riichis from me.

[Via http://graveworm666.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment