Saturday, March 20, 2010

Wazzup! JS1 here. (that's what I've b ...

Wazzup!

JS1 here. (that’s what I’ve been calling myself in the hours I’ve used the oh-so-wonderful Touch of Death Forums. Yea, that’s what I’ve been doing lately. MMO development. I’m also going to set up an indie site. And that’s what I’m going to teach you how to do today. For absolutely no cost to you. Here’s how you do it.

Domain Name Registration

First, we need to register a domain name. You can do some survey stuff for a dotcom (hey, don’t blame me if you get scammed) or you can use Co.CC. Co.CC lets you register a domain name suffixed by co.cc, sort of like co.uk, but free. For example: jschilli1.co.cc, or pixelcraft.co.cc. Now you may notice (excuse me if I get off-topic) that niether of the aforementioned sites exist. That’s because I tried to register a cool sounding domain, but then I realized it was really a stupid sounding domain, so I deleted it. Thing is, Co.CC only lets you register one free domain, the rest are like $4.99 or something. So I’m going to try to wait it out or something of the nature. Maybe you can only have one at a time, and their servers need to update. Oh well. Off-topic. Anyway. Go to co.cc (yes, that’s the site) and register for an account. Once you’ve registered and got finished with all the setup stuff, proceed to the hosting part of this tutorial.

Hosting

First, go to 000webhost.com, and register for a free account. While registering, enter your Co.CC domain name in the “I have an existing domain” box. You now have a hosting account. But here’s the merging part.

Linking Them Together

Once finished, you should be redirected (or directed to go to) the CPanel (control panel). Now, here, you’ll se something about DNS or ns01.000webhost.com or something. Go to your Co.CC control panel. Click on the setup button. Click on the Domain Server option, and enter the two DNS addresses found on the $0.00 WebHost control panel in the Domain Name Server 1 and Domain Name Server 2 textboxes. Click update or save changes or whatever.

Sprucing it All Up

Now that your domain and webhosting services have been acquainted, you can use any of the free options found on the $0.00 WebHost CPanel to build a site. View other tutorials on this, as this is beyond the scope of this post.

And there you have it folks. A place on the web for nada. And I don’t even have one ;)

-JS1

[Via http://jschilli1.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment